New Menu and Whole30 recap
We finished Whole30 2 1/2 weeks ago. Since then, we have been in and out – stayed with friends during the storms, C and I went on a little get away (post coming soon!). We have mostly stuck with Paleo eating, but we have “cheated” every now and then. Some honey, cream in our coffee, Colby’s had ketchup, etc. While on our trip, Colby and I ate bread one night and then had dessert. I honestly don’t remember the last time I felt that sick…my stomach hurt so bad and we both had headaches.
So, this week we’re going back to strict Paleo eating. There is just no comparison to how good we all felt. I don’t think I ever did a finishing Whole30 post…here were our results:
– We loved doing Whole30!
– The kids ate better than they ever have before – Ellie Jane was so much less picky and really ate well at all her meals
– We are much more aware of how our bodies feel after certain foods. Even Ellie Jane notices her tummy hurting after some meals. She and I went on a date and she had pancakes (her very favorite thing!) She couldn’t finish them because they made her stomach hurt.
– I learned that I am allergic/sensitive to dairy! I’ve mentioned the eczema rash I have on my hand. I wish I had a picture of it – 5 of my fingers have been covered in a scaly, dry and really painful rash since I was pregnant with Ellie Jane. My hands bleed and itch all the time. Really inconvenient… So at the beginning of the 3rd week of Whole30, my hands cleared up completely for the first time in almost 3 years. They looked and felt totally normal for 2.5 weeks. Then, the week after we finished Whole30, the only thing I added back to my diet was cream in my morning coffee. Within 3 days, my hands were worse then they were before we started. I know that eczema is not a skin condition, it is a symptom of something going on inside our bodies. So if dairy affects my hands that quickly, I can only imagine what is going on in my digestive system. All that to say, no more dairy for me!
– We both lost weight – Colby lost 14 lbs and I lost 9 lbs. In 30 days. This was not why we did Whole30 – we did it for our health, but we’ll take the weight loss too!
– I was already pretty certain of this, but it just confirmed that Ellie Jane is sensitive to grains (probably specifically to gluten). Her eczema completely disappeared and since she has had some grains over the last 2 weeks, a little patch is starting to come back.
– I think we all have changed in how we view food and our bodies. We know we don’t need certain foods to make us ‘happy’ (coffee, chocolate, ketchup – whatever it is. We all have that food we run to!) We also see food not just as enjoyment but as real nourishment. We are starting to think about what food is optimal for our bodies, not just what is the closest I can go to the line without cheating. Sounds cheesy, but true.
– Over all, we had so much more energy – physically, as well as just motivational energy. For working out, our jobs (studying and work for C, and me being a mom), etc.
– I could go on and on…We are pretty convinced that this is the best way for our family to eat for right now.
So, we’re going back to Whole30 again. Really just strict Paleo eating.
And here is our menu this week…
M: Buffalo Chicken Caesar Salad (Do you think we like this salad?!)
T: Meatballs and Marinera over Sauted Kale
W: Chicken and Veggie Kabobs, Side Salad – Making double to take to friends. See recipe below
Th: Sausage and peppers – Inspired by yummy finds at the farmer’s market today! I think I’ll slice the sausage and pan cook it, then stir fry a bunch of other veggies in with it. We got peppers, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, and spinach today so that’s what will probably end up in there. Sautéed in some coconut oil and that sounds like a well rounded meal!
F – S: With family again. Yeah!
Chicken and Veggie Kabobs:
1/2 c Evoo
1/2 c liquid/coconut aminos (soy sauce sub)
5-6 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 c yellow mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
Cut chicken in chunks. Marinade overnight.
Chop veggies (squash, peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, onions, etc.)
Chop fresh pineapple
Skewer Chicken, veggies, and pineapple and grill til done. YUM!
– I’ll make our favorite Tuna for lunches (and a fresh batch of yummy mayo).
– We’ll also have salad. Our new favorite salad is greens from our garden, lots of veggies, and Plainville Deli Turkey and Applegate Farms Pepperoni. With my greek dressing (1/2 c red wine vinegar, 1/2 c evoo, 1 T garlic, 1 T onion, 1 T basil, 1 T oregano, salt and pepper). So good!
– We’re still loving Eggs and bacon for breakfast. None of us are tired of it yet. Though I did have a really good open faced omelet on our trip last week. It had zucchini, onions, red peppers, and asparagus in it. I’ll probably recreate that one morning this week.
What’s on your table this week??